Monday 19 March 2012

Top 8 Singapore States report

Hi guys. For those that don’t know me, i am Jeremy also known as Garami. For the event, i decided to play MessieMew/MessMew/MessyMew/Mees or whatever you wanna call it. The reason behind my deck choice was because i had been playtesting with the deck ever since ECC when Mess took the deck to top 16. I went on to play with the deck and fell in love with it as it’s one of those decks that has so many options and room to outplay others despite having many weakness.  Here’s the list i used for those who are interested:


4 mew
4-4 mega
1 terrakion
1 shaymin
1 crobat
1 chandy
1 jumpluff

2 collector
4 junk arm
4 plus power
3 N
3 PONT
3 Juniper
2 gear
2 lost remover
3 catcher
1 SSU
1 Max pot
1 super rod
1 black belt
1 lvl ball
1 dual ball

4 rainbow
4 prism
3 psy

I made many last minute changes to get this list on the day itself and some things that i would change would be playing the 4th N , removing both collectors and playing a 2-2 Lvl ball/Dual ball spilt.
We had a turnout of around 80+ masters and were supposed to have a 7 round Swiss. However due to time constraints, we had 6 round Swiss instead. Please forgive me if i forgot your name as i did not take note of who i was playing with.

Round 1 : Leslie Mog with CMT
I opened a mew and yanma. I got a T1 see off and decide to see off chandy instead of jumpluff as jumpluff was prized and with me seeing off chandlure, he had to limit the number of celebis to bench. He had a bad hand and decided to double draw for his first turn. My hand was also dead and decided to start spreading with my mew. He did not managed to get his Dce to get the hurricane going and before long, he decided to scoop.
1-0

Round 2: Soon Teck with CMT
It sucks that i had to play with such a good player so early into the event. We both knew what each other were playing. I got to go first to avoid the donk . I got a t1 see off again and decided to see off chandy again. He went on and started to take prizes with Tornadus while moving the energy to another Tornadus. I did not really have any way to kill Tornadus so i was losing in the prize exchange. He did excellent plays by going for my yanma first before i could evolve them to yanmegas. At one point of the game, i did a huge misplay by benching my terrakion forgetting that it has grass weakness while he had a virizion active. It went down to my 2 prizes to his last and he made a misplay by benching his mewtwo. I needed a catcher and a plus power to win the game as i had a mew active with 2 energy. I went on to use juniper and hit both cards.
2-0
 Round 3: Chen Tian Cheng with ZekEel 
I opened with terrakion to his cleffa and zekrom Ex. He went first and played collector for 3 Tynamos and decided not to Eeek. From this, i could tell that his hand was good. I did not have N in my hand and decided to refresh my hand and attach an energy to my Terrakion and pass. True enough, he evolved 2 tynamos. He played Sage’s but failed to get energy into his discard. He then went on to catcher my benched mew and used eek. This gave me the chance to see off my chandy. I went on to start spreading with chandy. He then used zekrom Ex to kill my Terrakion. I could not remember much from here on and it went downhill for me. 2-1
 Round 4 : Alvin Yap with Zekeels
I went first and opened my yanma to his Shaymin. I whiff on the T1 see off. His turn, he benched a mewtwo, attaches DCE to it and passes.  My turn, as i was assuming that he was playing CMT, i see off my jumpluff. He then went on to bench a tynamo and retreated his mewtwo and used xball for the ko. I went on to mass attack his mewtwo for the knockout. His hand was pretty dead and i used mew to mass attack for all 6 prizes. 3-1
 Round 5: Wilson with MeesieMew(mirror)
So when i found out that i was playing him, i cracked my head for ways to win the mirror. It would come down to the yanmega wars. I went first and played collector for 3 yanmas and benched them. He went on to bench yanmas too. I took the first prize with yanmegas and he was forced to see off. Things went downhill for him as he could not catch up with the prize race.4-1
 Round 6: Jeff with liligant lock
 This matchup was a scary one as i removed my jirachi from my list so i needed at least 3 to 4 turns before i get take down his plume. He got the turn 2 lock going and things started to look grim for me. Luckily for me, there were times when he flipped double tails allowing me to have time to attack and start spreading damage across his field. I somehow managed to make it 1-1 in the prize count and finally managed to knock out his plume. For my last prize, i use catcher on his vitini and use yanmega to claim my last prize.5-1
 That was the end of swiss and we waited for top cut to start. Pairings were announced and i was paired up against Azure.
 Top 16: Azure with Durants
 Game 1: I went first and got the T1 see off sending my crobat prime into the lost zone. Crobat prime is so good vs durants as its poison makes Durant get knocked out going into your turn. He then went on to get out his ants and started to mill my deck. I responded by saving cards in my hand while using mew to attack each turn. Before long, i took all 6 prizes and we went on to game 2.
Game 2:  Things went on pretty much like game 1 just that I went second so i was behind by a turn. There was a turn when i made a huge misplay by attacking with yanmega instead of using mew to attack. This caused me to be 1 turn late in getting my last prize card.
Game 3 : I got my turn 1 see off while his hand was dead. I went on to use mew to attack and started taking prizes. He got his twins too late and i sealed the game by having 4 mews on my board all with energy on them.
 Top 8: Xavier with CMT
I have been play testing with Xavier the week before states and both of us knew how each other deck works. And top 8 was not the place that i wanted to play against him.
 Game 1:  I opened a lone yanma and he went first. He showed me the Dce, switch and plus power. ;/
Game 2: This game i got to go first however, i failed to get a T1 see off which puts me at a huge disadvantage especially when i am playing vs CMT. Things started to look bad as my hand was dead after an N and i was down 4 prizes. I finally drew a Junk Arm and used Poke-Gear to get a juniper and managed to use catcher on his benched mewtwo for the ko. However it was too late and he got his 6 prizes.
 Overall, this event was a great one and it showed how powerful Mewtwo Ex is in this format. It just destroys anything using pure power. I had fun and i hope to do better this coming Sunday for Lion city states! (; Lastly, grats to Xavier for winning his second states!  :D

 Jeremy.

5 comments:

Team PCSG said...

Feel free to ask me any questions about the deck. (:

Jeremy.

Anonymous said...

U too free is it?? ._.
JM.

Anonymous said...

Its MEES, not MESS.

lern2spell.

~Mees Brenninkmeijer
Your loyal Billionaire.

Team PCSG said...

Hey Mees! I'll do an update on the error and thanks for visiting our humble blog :)

Team PCSG said...

Hey Mees.

sorry for my poor spelling lol. Anyway the deck is awesome! :D

Jeremy.